Thursday, September 8, 2011

Balancing Act - Strawberry Banana Smoothie Balls

The last time I made Power Balls, I didn't quite make enough. Fortunately, I had some leftover Blueberry Yogurt Power Balls that I was able to add in addition to the Lemon Poppy Seed Power Balls to give out, but today I was determined to produce a higher quantity of PBs. Although I succeeded in this, I failed to consider ball quality and so although I now have 80 delicious smelling Strawberry Banana Smoothie Power Balls to give out on Saturday, I also had to raise the number each person gets due to the lower nutritional value of each ball.

This is turning out to be quite the balancing act of quantity and quality with the ideal PB batch producing enough balls for my customers while also providing them with adequate nutrition without having to eat an excessive amount of PBs. This batch seemed to have pretty decent protein content, but a too low calorie and carb amount, so my next goal will be to find a way to increase these values - perhaps peanut butter? Or a more dense form of carbohydrate? Although, I still would want them to be tasty - I'll have to think about this.

In the meantime, here's the recipe from today. The mixed wet ingredients looked and smelled like a strawberry banana smoothie, hence the name.

Laura's Strawberry Banana Smoothie Power Balls

Mix Dry Ingredients:
4 c. Unchopped Oats, chop
3 c. Unchopped Rice Bitz Cereal, chop
0.5 c. Dry Nonfat Milk
4.5 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
6 tbsp Flaxseed Meal
0.5 c. Wheat Bran
Chop 1 Pint of Fresh Strawberries
Before:
After:
Mix Wet Ingredients:
2 6oz containers Strawberry Flavored Greek Yogurt
1 pint Chopped Strawberries
2 Mashed Bananas
2 Egg Whites
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
0.5 c. Syrup
0.25 c. Orange Juice
See the Strawberry Banana Smoothie Resemblance?
Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients.
Round into balls on greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 325°F for around 8-10 minutes, or until done.
Makes approximately 80 balls. 

Nutritional Facts Per Ball: (Recommended Serving of 3-4 Balls)
42.26 Calories
5.67 Calories from Fat
2.73g Protein
0.65g Total Fat
0.13g Saturated Fat
6.68g Carbs
4.06mg Cholesterol

No comments:

Post a Comment