Monday, September 5, 2011

New Discoveries & Deliciousness - Lemon Poppy Seed Balls

As promised, my newest creation of Power Balls was in fact Lemon Poppy Seed Power Balls! For those of you who like lemon poppy seed edibles, I think you're going to really like these. I tried another new base consisting of mainly oats and rice cereal then combined that with a mixture of predominantly of grapefruit and lemon juice and think this might be a winning combination.

Being the fourth round of Power Balls to make, I think I'm finally getting the hang of this making up recipes as opposed to following them and set a new record today of having everything finished in just under an hour. Unfortunately, I'm not yet getting the hang of producing the correct number of Power Balls and find myself now, like an undergrad in chem lab, again wishing my percent yield was higher.

So right now I've got 44 Power Balls with an average, perhaps slightly calorically low, nutritional value of 128.6 calories and 6.91g of protein per serving. Which of course could easily be fixed by simply increasing the number of Power Balls per serving from 2 to 3, but then would result in me having to make another half recipe. And with everything nicely put away and my dishwasher running, that's not necessarily my ideal choice right now. Maybe I'll reassess tomorrow.

Here's the recipe:

Laura's Lemon Poppy Seed Power Balls

Mix Dry Ingredients:
4 c. Unchopped Rice Cereal (chop in a mixer)
1 c. Unchopped Oats (chop in mixer)
0.25 c. Brown Rice Flour
0.25 c. Flaxseed Meal
0.25 c. Wheat Bran
2.5 tbsp Poppy Seeds
0.5 c. Nonfat Dry Milk
3 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
Mix Wet Ingredients:
0.5 c. Grapefruit Juice
0.25 c. Lemon Juice
0.75 c. Syrup
2 Egg Whites
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
0.5 tsp Lemon Extract
Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients:
Drop by rounded spoonful onto greased cookie sheets.
Bake at 325°F for around 10 minutes, or until brown on bottom.
Makes approximately 44 Power Balls.

Nutritional Facts Per Ball: (Recommended 2-3 Per Serving)
64.30 Calories
9.59 Calories from Fat
3.45g Protein
1.14g Total Fat
0.17g Saturated Fat
10.68g Carbs
4.66mg Cholesterol


No comments:

Post a Comment